Winter can bring a unique set of pests that seek shelter and warmth in homes and places of business. It's crucial to identify these common winter pests and take proactive measures to protect your property from them.
Understanding Common Winter Pests
While many insects and pests become less active during the cooler months, some become more of a problem in winter.
1. Rodents: Mice and rats seek shelter in warmer areas during winter, often finding their way into homes and buildings through small openings. They can cause damage, contaminate food, and spread diseases.
2. Cockroaches: While cockroaches are a year-round problem, in winter, they are more likely to move indoors in search of warmth and food.
3. Spiders: “Dangerous” spiders like the Redback and Huntsman are commonly found indoors during winter because they seek shelter from the cold.
4. Ants: While not as active in winter, ants can still invade homes in search of food.
Protecting Your Property
To protect your property from these pests, it's important to take preventative measures:
1. Seal Off Entry Points: Mice can squeeze through a hole as small as a dime. Regularly check your property for gaps, cracks, and holes, and seal them with caulk or other suitable materials.
2. Maintain Cleanliness: Regular cleaning can eliminate potential food sources and hiding spots for pests. Ensure food is stored in sealed containers, and regularly take out the trash.
3. Regular Inspections: Regularly inspect areas that can attract pests, such as basements, attics, and kitchens. Early detection can prevent a minor pest problem from becoming an infestation.
4. Yard Maintenance: Regular yard maintenance can help reduce the likelihood of pests. Trim overhanging branches that pests could use to enter your property and keep firewood away from your house.
Call Safe Spray for Reliable Pest Control Services: 1300 562 053. We provide thorough inspections services to identify potential risks, and offer tailored pest control management solutions to prevent infestations.